The overall assessment of the condition of the car consists of several parameters. A good impression of the good operation of the engine, chassis, as well as the perfect body can ruin a battered interior. To increase the attractiveness of the car, such tuning as hauling the car seats will help.
Seat cover renewal is best left to professionals. However, if the funds do not allow, and the hauling of the seats does not require urgency, then you can try to do it yourself. But we warn you right away that this work is not easy and requires skills in cutting blanks and the ability to use a sewing machine.
At the end of this article you will find a video in which experts show how difficult and time-consuming is the process of hauling car seats. And we, in turn, will write down the technology in detail, so that you can decide whether you can do this work with your own hands or not.
Selection of material for hauling seats
The following materials are usually used for hauling car seats:
The color scheme is selected for the interior trim, but the preferences of the car owner can play a major role here. It’s easier to haul car seats with the same color material. But the use of inserts from other shades gives solidity and personality to the entire cabin.
The most expensive, but at the same time durable and luxurious material is leather. Only in extreme heat, the leather seat will not be very comfortable and pleasant.
The most economical solution for hauling chairs is to use velor and Alcantara. Excellent performance combined with low price allowed these materials to gain popularity among motorists.
The advantages of hauling car seats in the studio
If you need to update the seats in a short time and the monetary issue is not critical, it is best to contact a specialized sewing studio.
Among the main advantages of hauling seats in the workshop will be:
- performance of work by qualified specialists with many years of experience,
- the use of proven quality materials,
- selection of the preferred option
- providing a guarantee for the service,
- minimum terms of the constriction.
But all these advantages of holding a banner in the workshop can be reduced to zero due to the high cost of the service, which may not be affordable for a simple car enthusiast.
DIY do-it-yourself car seat technology
The constriction of the car seats with your own hands is affordable for persistent and persistent people. Since the average car owner does not have the skills to do this, you need to do everything slowly, following the proven technology.
Preparation for hauling seats
Before you start updating car seats, you first need to perform simple preparatory work:
- Dismantling the seats. Usually, fastening is carried out with 4 bolts, but first you need to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery in order to de-energize the security system (pillows). Under the seat, you must also disconnect the terminals of the electrical wiring, if any, for example, from the electric heating of the seats.
- Each part of the regular cover is signed with a regular marker. You can also specify the name of the material that will be used in this place of the cover.
- Removing the standard cover from the chair. To carefully remove the old seat trim, press the metal clips on the back of the chair.
- The old cover is cut at the seams into separate parts, which will be used as a pattern.
- Material calculation. Now each piece of the old case can be measured and its area calculated. The total area of the material must be increased by 20-40%, which depends on the accuracy of measurements and cutting options.
Making new leather or Alcantara cases
For the manufacture of new seat covers you will need some tools and materials:
- gel pen,
- sewing machine,
- 5 mm thick foam rubber,
- glue in the spray can
The sequence of actions is as follows.
- Each piece of the old case is laid on new material and pressed by weights. Gel pen marks in short dashed lines. Scissors cut out the marked elements of the new cover. When cutting, it is important to consider such a feature of Alcantara as the direction of the pile. When combining all the elements should get a surface with the same direction of the pile.
- Strengthening of Alcantara and skin is done using fabric-based foam rubber. The connection of cut parts with foam is done with glue. It is not possible to apply the adhesive with a brush or roller to the surface of the foam. Therefore, glue is evenly sprayed from the can.
- The next important step is the stitching of the patches. It is important to ensure that the edges of adjacent elements are precisely aligned. Here you will need some skills to use a sewing machine.
- The lapels of the seam, divorced to the sides, must be glued from the wrong side. First, excess strips of foam rubber and material are cut off, and the lapels are cleaned and degreased. It remains only to apply glue and press the lapels to each other.
- An important point in the hauling of the seats will be the beating of the seams with an ordinary hammer.
- Lapels are sewn with a double finishing stitch, and the free edges behind the stitch are not cut.
Mounting the cover on the car seat
The installation of a new cover on the car seat is carried out in the following sequence:
- Before starting to install a new cover on the chair, you need to put on the straps. The product is inverted and straightened. The cover is primarily pulled onto the back of the seat.
- Now it’s the seatkeeper’s turn. Usually this stage does not cause any problems. It is necessary to pull the cover to the base of the chair with plastic clamps threaded into special holes and fix it by the knitting needle. The edges of the new cover stretch evenly along the contour of the seat.
- Skin tightening should be completed by heating the material with a stream of hot air. An electric hairdryer is used for this, the main thing is not to overdo it and not to burn the cover. Drying gradually, the material will stretch like a drum. After that, each chair is steamed with an iron and a damp cloth. Thanks to these thermal operations, the seat cover becomes stretched and completely smooth.
- The final operation of the hauling of the seats will be the cleaning of light skin or Alcantara from glue residue, scuffs and fingerprints.
Neatly tightened car seats will please the car owner for a long time. During the update process, you can change the design of car seats, as well as update the upholstery of doors, ceilings and panels. Conducted a comprehensive tuning will unrecognizably change the shabby interior, add elegance to the car and increase its value.